Tuesday 17 May 2011

week ten progress


After the presentation last week I started another basic model in sketch up which is a little more refined and thought out than the last one. I really want to focus on the tectonics of the building and pay attention to the detailing and joinery and make sure everything comes together smoothly and beautifully. As I've mentioned before Tadao Ando is a big inspiration so by looking at his application of materials and processes I have adopted a similar technique which at times becomes sub-concious decisions.

In the image above I had briefly looked at the interaction between this building and the contextual buildings and base of the bridge as I wish for them to become an integral and physical part of the design.

A feature which may not be apparent in the image which has changed from last week is the decision (not entirely sticking to the heritage act...) is to have a whole wall moveable to seal off the space or to create a larger gallery space which actually moves through and underneath the roof of one of the warehouses which would mean cutting out a section of the wall. However by doing this, I will be establishing the warehouse as one of the walls of the building and will be leaving it in its original element. As the materials are going to be deliberately modest and natural I think the juxtapositioning of textures will create a unique feel to the building. Also, by doing this I will be reactivating the interior of the warehouse because this can be used for office and workshop space..

Some more progress sketches...


No comments:

Post a Comment