Tuesday 17 May 2011

deployable and transformable structures informing a building envelope

After the week nine presentation I concluded that the next step for the development of my building was to connect the somewhat resolved floor plan with a building envelope. I had already decided that the treatment of each facade would be different and had a conceptual approach for each one. This is my intended approach in a diagrammatic form:



Addressing each facade:

1.


This sketch shows a brief look at what the entrance of the building could look like. It would involve entering the right of the building and the entrance would be made obvious by the clear view into the first section of the space to the foyer desk and also signage. The left side of the building will consist of a moveable structure (see #2) to inform a flexible, interactive space depending on the amount of people going through the space and the season. When both the left and right sides of the buliding have been altered, the elevation will look something like below... 


2.

This will become the most interesting and most functional facade of the building. My vision has always been this facade as an interactive, moveable membrane structure and I have been looking at exemplars to inspire the exact form. The videos below are the latest source of my inspiration- looking at folding structres which can be altered to form different spaces. In particular I like the second video as this is something like what I have been picturing for the facade. I spoke with my tutor about having a mechanically driven facade which is powered through the movement of people through the space to accomodate more space.. however I feel like it is necessary for me to have the movement within the building to come from human energy, not only fitting with the 'sustainability' aspect but also my concept of 'people as activators of space'. I think this element would give the building a very tangible nature.


video one


video two
POSSIBLE BUILDING FACADE


video three

A few conceptual sketches and images..





Thomas Heatherwicks Rolling Bridge as an example of great tectonic





4.

Although this facade will mainly consist of the existing warehouses, there will be a space between the structure of the bridge which will form the wall of the ciculatory space and observatory area. This should be interactive as well on a smaller scale for users to move as they walk up the space.






No comments:

Post a Comment