Thursday 9 June 2011

the last week


Still not entirely happy with the lines of my building and roof plan I did another sketch to see what I could simplify and improve on. Ultimately, I want to create a building with interesting and well thought out tectonics, therefore the structuring of the roof and the form of the eastern and western sections has become very important. After deciding that the first thing I must do this week is to enlarge the scale of the building and extend the entrance point beyond the boundary of the existing warehouses (for visability) I worked out with Yvonne that the roof plan needed to be brought into more of the building. Therefore I have decided to curve it around the eastern section and bring the steel elements around into the facade of the observatory at a smaller and a delicate scale. The diagram below shows how the vertical access and cinema space between the bridge pillars is the heart of the building and the strucural elements are fanning out from this point.



 Another element I need to change is the observatory space. In order to transform it from a box shape to something which connects  more with the rest of the design I will fan out sections of the observatory.


Now I am at the point where I have to start drawing up floor and roof plans, sections and elevations for the final presentation. I also want to think about showing diagrams and detail drawings of the tectonics and how the building works...

No comments:

Post a Comment