Wednesday 20 April 2011

adaptive architecture

The concept of hardware vs software and people as an activator of the site prompted me into looking at the notion of adaptive and interactive architecture as a physical structure.

ATMOS STUDIO - Art, Architecture and Media

WINGSCAPE

This pavillion inspired from the French translation of 'butterfly' takes on rib-like, modular formation which move and expand in plan and in section to form different spaces within the overall structure at different times. The proposal provides a supremely lightweight kit of parts that allow not only rapid assembly, but rapid re-assembly and re-configuration.









The structure itself has the ability to be moved manually or mechanically through its construction using tensile wires. In between the 'delicate' steel ribs is a waterproofing, flexible membrane which moves with the building and can be zipped back to provide the interior with natural ventilation.

For me, this project is a great example in establishing a connection between my concept and my vision for the building use and structure. I have not established a buliding function because I believe this will be determined easily once the other factors have been thought out.



The direction in which I want to go from here is to design an adaptive, hybrid building with an interactive function which provides a solid basis which is activated through the flow of people through it. The important thing for me at this stage is to not remove myself too far from the biomimicry field.

No comments:

Post a Comment